The months of carrying a child are precious and soon past. You are engaged in the creation of a new life, not merely with your body, but with your emotions, mind and spirit. Yoga postures, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques can help the mind and body adapt to pregnancy, prepare for labour and adjust to life with the new baby.
Yoga can help you have the best possible pregnancy and delivery in many ways:
- Gives relaxation, centeredness and emotional balance: Yoga can empower you and give you a sense of your inner strength (physical, mental, emotional and spiritual) which is invaluable during pregnancy and after baby arrives.
- May help common pregnancy complaints, such as lower back pain, varicose veins, leg cramps, sciatica, swelling, upper back and shoulder tightness, sleeplessness, fatigue, stress and anxiety.
- Improves body awareness and posture.
- Breath awareness and breathing exercises can improve effective use of breath and relaxation during labour.
- Strengthening and stretching of pelvic muscles can ease childbirth and postpartum recovery.
- Connect with your baby while it is still in the womb: Yoga practice may also stimulate the unborn baby’s sense of touch and body awareness.
- Nurture yourself and your child in a positive, uplifting environment: Meet and share with other mothers and mothers-to-be.
No previous experience of yoga is necessary.